By Kendra Holliday | February 16, 2015
Everyone is bitching about how terrible 50 Shades of Grey is. I’m no exception.
Yes, it sucks.
So where can you find GOOD erotica – the kind that will jump start a million libidos and celebrate kinky creativity?
Writing is not easy, but based on all the incredibly shitty erotica out there, it must be especially hard to craft this genre. You have to use the right words and flow to elicit feelings of arousal, rather than cringing. It’s a delicate balance. Plus, it can be pretty subjective. Some people hate the word “cunt,” while others can’t stand the term “nether lips.”
I asked friends and readers for their recommendations, and came up with this extensive list of 30 Shades of Great! Thank you to everyone who contributed!
1. Sleeping Beauty Trilogy – this one was mentioned the most. You should probably check it out.
2.Literotica – Hit and miss, but LOTS to explore. My favorite category is Incest/Taboo.
4. Anais Nin – I remember being so shocked and turned on reading the scene where a group of men pin down a woman and let a big, shaggy dog lick her pussy. I also got really disturbed and turned on reading about the man who found a freshly drowned body and had his way with it.
5. The Story of O – female submission galore
7. Exit to Eden – more Anne Rice BDSM
8. Genesis Deflowered – the Bible is already salacious enough, but this author fleshes out some scenes…
9. My Secret Garden – published the year I was born! These fantasies are timeless…
10. Forbidden Flowers – encore to Secret Garden
11. Kushiel’s Legacy series by Jacqueline Carey – I’ve read this, it’s pretty good. Hell, you know it’s good when you remember certain scenes and incorporate them into your own fantasies – the one that stands out to me is when the slave girl is in the great hall and is presented to a Lord as a gift, and his Lady watches him take the slave girl on the table…
12. Whip Smart – memoir of a college student working as a dominatrix
13. Topping from Below – a BDSM tale of two sisters…
15. Domme Chronicles – more female domination
16. Bending by Greta Christina
17. Original Sinner’s series – tagline: “It’s not erotica until someone gets hurt.”
18. Shoshanna Evers – runs the gamut
19. S.E.C.R.E.T. by Marie Adeline
21. Mike Kimera – Remittance Girl’s mentor
24. Smorgasbord of Lust – short stories and poems
25. Babysitting the Baumgartners – an older couple and their teen babysitter
26. Autobiography of a Flea – blackmailing priests and uncles and all kinds of men have their way with teen girls
27. The Landlady’s Girl – a slave girl is willing to service all of them…
30. The Happy Hooker
Finally, if you’re into fan fiction, check out this chock full of fantasy forum – Archive of our Own.